Job Opening – Chief Technology OfficerPosted: April 23, 2010
Chief Technology Officer of Viewpoints Network
Viewpoints Network is a 3.5 year old, profitable, and rapidly growing social technology and media company. We specialize in building online communities and motivating “social influencers” to share their experiences by writing reviews, answering questions, and participating in forums. We then help organize and present those contributions to help other consumers make smarter purchase decisions. The Viewpoints Technology Platform powers Viewpoints.com, the second largest product reviews site on the web and is licensed to major retailers, brands and media companies drive the Triple Bottom Line of Social Commerce. Viewpoints currently powers branded communities for customers such as Sears, Craftsman, Kmart and others. Click here to read about the company culture or visit our corporate site.
Viewpoints is seeking a CTO to help lead the company into its next stage of growth. The CTO will provide strategic and operational leadership to a 45 person (and growing) technology team staffed both onshore and off. The CTO will be responsible for all technical functions including software development, visual design, quality assurance, internal IT, network operations and new client integrations. The CTO will also be responsible for communicating the company’s technology strategy to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and key stakeholders.
Specific Job responsibilities
Strategy & Planning:
· Participate as a member of the senior management team representing the organization’s technical architecture, infrastructure, and programming methodology.
· Lead strategic technological planning to achieve business goals by prioritizing technology initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technologies.
· Collaborate with the appropriate groups to develop and maintain a technology plan that supports organizational needs.
· Conduct research to remain up-to-date and knowledgeable in regards to industry trends and emerging technologies in anticipation of new business needs.
· Where necessary, oversee and develop patenting of intellectual property, inventions, and business processes.
· Act as primary liaison for the company’s technology vision via regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, department heads, and end users.
· Ensure 99.9% uptime of our platform and associated websites.
· Creatively and proactively provide resolution to technical problems in a cost-effective and timely manner.
· Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers.
· Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
· Analyze and improve upon technology standards across the organization to ensure scalability & maintain a technological and competitive edge within the market.
· Ensure that investments in technology are appropriate to the developments in the industry & that these investments produce appropriate high returns.
· Develop, track, and control the technical services annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
· Ensure equipment and software operation adheres to industry standards, (applicable laws and regulations).
Applications Development & Management:
· Develop and maintain an enterprise-level perspective of data, processes, practices, and goals.
· Develop a vision of how technology can most effectively support client needs and scale for growth.
· Determine, formulate, and administer relevant IT and management policies and practices.
· Continually work to improve software development delivery processes.
· Ensure timely delivery of high quality software development and infrastructure projects against specifications.
· Ensure project satisfaction among key business stakeholders.
· Set objectives for the technology group and determine key performance criteria for success.
· Organize team structure to most effectively meet business needs.
· Oversee interviewing, hiring and retention of A+ talent.
· Mentor and train talent to ensure tenure.
Acquisition & Deployment:
· Assess and communicate risks/rewards associated with technology-related investments and purchases.
· Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for technology spending and initiatives.
· Define requirements for new technology implementations and communicate them to key business stakeholders.
· Review hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts and pursue master agreements to capitalize on economies of scale.
· Define and communicate corporate procedures, policies, and standards for the organization for acquiring, implementing, and operating new network systems, equipment, software, and other technologies.
· Cultivate and maintain professional contacts with other professional organizations and associations concerning existing and developing information technologies.
The CTO of Viewpoints Network needs to be a leading edge technologist who understands and appreciates the needs of an Enterprise SaaS platform while also being an excellent manager and magnet for engineering talent.
§ Exceptionally self motivated, directed with great follow up skills
§ Exceptional service orientation, both internally and externally
§ Ability to motivate technologists in a team oriented collaborative environment
§ Demonstrated ability to envision web-based services that meet consumer needs or solve business problems
§ Experience, knowledge and a passion for web based technologies
§ Experience growing an early stage company into one with hundreds of employees and customers
§ Experience scaling and operating Open Source technologies such as Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby on Rails
§ A sophisticated understanding of development tools, platforms and development methodologies
§ Experience with Agile software development
§ Experience with Cloud Computing
§ An extensive network of former employees who can testify to your management style
§ Experience building and scaling an Enterprise Software As A Service (SaaS) business
The CTO of Viewpoints Network will need be a good communicator, a deep thinker, a leader, and an exceptionally good team player with very effective communication skills.
Salary and benefits
This is a full time position; base + bonus + equity will be paid commensurate with experience. In addition, we offer a benefits package including Health/Dental/Vision/Life insurance, 401k, and vacation.
To apply, please send a compelling cover letter and resume to Matt Moog, Founder & CEO at email@example.com