Hiring: Director of UsabilityPosted: September 22, 2010
Viewpoints Network is looking for a Director of Usability to establish a user-centric design approach within the company and promote UX best practices. In addition to creating a best-in-class user experience on Viewpoints.com and our white label customer sites, you will also be responsible for prototyping, developing wireframes and setting IA standards within the organization. You will also be expected to ensure that page designs and new product implementations are aligned with the company’s strategic business goals and success metrics. The ideal candidate with have proven success working closely with product managers, software developers and visual designers in a fast-moving, iterative Agile development environment.
– Lead design of the user experience on Viewpoints.com and our white label customer sites, including the overall information architecture and detailed interaction design.
– Perform rapid prototyping with wireframes, lo-fi prototypes, and hi-fi interactive prototypes of the user experience as part of a user centered design process.
– Facilitate requirements discovery and problem identification by conducting brain-storming sessions with Product Managers, iterating high-level work-flow concepts, leading user research initiatives, creating user profiles, and defining usability objectives.
– Collaborate with Visual Designers to ensure visual design is consistent with UX standards.
– Develop and follow a method of documentation of user interaction design standards; promote adherence to standards. Develop and maintain site maps and a library of IA artifacts.
– Evaluate current UX and drive optimizations to refine work-flows in high impact areas. Work closely with product management and analytics to prioritize and evaluate tests against key metrics. Help establish a well-defined, metrics-driven optimization testing strategy.
– Develop detailed interaction and visual design specifications and work closely with the development teams to implement them. Ensure recommendations acknowledge cost of development and maintenance, adhere to development best practices and consider all possible interaction states.
– Influence and educate the product teams and Management in user-centered design principles and development processes. Monitor and communicate industry trends, studies and best practices and apply to organization.
– Contribute to the long-term vision of the user experience of Viewpoints.com based on product and market trends and corporate direction.
– 7+ years of experience as an Interaction Designer with a portfolio demonstrating solid experience leading IA for web applications, particularly consumer-facing websites.
– Strong knowledge of visual design best practices.
– Experience with all areas of user-centered design including persona creation, user research and testing methods. Success working with cross-functional teams to envision, define and implement new web application interactions.
– Success using Google Analytics or other website optimizer, A/B testing and multi-variant testing.
– Experience with mobile applications and knowledge of SEO optimization best practices a plus.
– Ability to think strategically, collaborate productively, and problem-solve effectively.
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to effectively collaborate in meetings and in documentation form, plus ability to pitch and defend design decisions that meet agreed upon business goals, while being receptive to feedback and demonstrating flexibility.
– Expert use of one or more prototyping tools, e.g. Visio , Axure, iRise, HTML/CSS
– Experience with rapid interactive product design and development.
– A philosophy of what drives good user interface design and an understanding of visual design principles.
– Experience with developing, maintaining and communicating standards for user interface design.
Please send resume, portfolio and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org