Hiring: Ops/Sys Admin GuruPosted: January 17, 2011
Viewpoints is the fastest growing consumer reviews site on the web. We are looking for an operations/system administration guru to join our technology team to help continue moving our operational environments forward. Our site traffic is doubling year over year and we are one of the largest Rails sites on the web. If the following sounds like you, we should talk.
- Have used Linux for so long the idea of not being able to have a *nix server in your own house seems strange to you.
- Have experience working with cloud environments. Not the kind that pop out of the wall when you need to edit a family photo, but real ones.
- Can configure Apache, nginx, a load balancer and have done so outside of work.
- Can compile a kernel and chew gum at the same time.
- Skilled at building RPMs or similar packages. Have a strong perspective on the value of packaging vs. just installing software.
- Can maintain and spec hardware in your sleep.
- The words iostat, vmstat, and proc bring back memories of at least two great production issues you personally solved.
- Understand TCP/IP fundamentals like the back of your hand.
- Have experience with MySQL, and still use it anyway.
- Experience with scripting languages (extra credit for Bash and Ruby experience.)
- Deep understanding of at least one monitoring system. Understanding of other monitoring systems and ideas about what would make an even better one.
- Excited with the opportunity to closely work with developers in a tight knit operation.
- Work well with a variety of opinions and perspectives not all matching your own. Willing to be proven wrong.
- Understand the fundamentals of continuous integration and continuous deployment.
Interested? Send your resume to email@example.com to find out more.