Hiring: UI EngineerPosted: June 8, 2011
Viewpoints is hiring a seasoned UI engineer to join our technology team in Chicago. We are passionate about changing the way people find products and share their product experiences, and we need a front-end specialist to help lead the charge.We develop using the Ruby on Rails stack, git for source control, Linux development boxes and your workstation/tools of choice. One of the biggest Rails sites on the web, we follow the agile method of software engineering and deploy our own code biweekly.We are looking for a front-end expert who is also a true software engineer. You should understand the entire web application stack and software development life cycle while specializing on the user-interface layer. In short, you should put the “V” in “MVC.”You should also:
- Be able to work effectively with information architects, designers, product mangers, back-end developers and other front-end programmers.
- Thoroughly understand responsive design, device independence, web standards and SEO-focused front-end engineering.
- Be comfortable enough with the Rails stack to hand-edit ERB templates, helpers and controllers. Bonus points if you’re comfortable wading into models, plugins, etc.
- Understand how to architect CSS for maintainability and flexibility rather than blindly pixel-matching a comp.
- Know more about HTML5 than just the buzzwords and understand how to implement it today, even on Internet Explorer.
- Be more than a code monkey. You should be able to set and follow coding standards, help pick frameworks, mentor colleagues, understand business objectives, and run code reviews.
- Excel at producing high-quality work on aggressive time lines.
- Bonus points for being an accomplished command-line programmer or open-source participant.
We will provide you with:
- Challenging work and the chance to learn every day from a group of high-performance peers in a tight-knit environment.
- A flexible schedule including core office hours, blocks of meeting-free development time, and the chance to work from home one day a week.
- Self-directed “idea time” to explore new technologies and pet projects on your own every Friday afternoon.
- A competitive salary and bonus program and full benefits including health, dental, vision, and 401(k).
Ready for the challenge? Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org