Viewpoints is hiring a senior UI/mobile software engineerPosted: May 1, 2012
Viewpoints (www.viewpoints.com) is hiring a senior UI software craftsman to join our technology team in Chicago. The successful candidate will combine front-end and mobile technical expertise with leadership experience and business acumen.
After 5 years online and 800k+ product reviews written by our users, Viewpoints is passionate about changing the way people discover products and share their experiences online. We recently completed a major product/site relaunch. Now we are looking to expand our core desktop and mobile experience to include native apps, APIs, content syndication and advanced data mining.
We develop using Ruby on Rails, git, HTML5, SASS, jQuery, Underscore and Modernizr. One of the biggest Rails sites on the web, we practice agile, test-driven development and deploy our own code biweekly. We also use responsive design to deliver a compelling experience on any kind of device, mobile or desktop.
We need a front-end specialist to help lead the charge as we iterate on our web application and expand our ecosystem into other platforms. Successful applicants will combine UI know-how with true software-engineering expertise. You should understand the entire web stack and software development lifecycle. In short, you should put the “V” in “MVC.”
You should also:
- Be able to work effectively with information architects, designers, business stakeholders, back-end developers, QA personnel and other front-end programmers.
- Be ready to code state-of-the-art mobile web applications using HTML5, web standards and responsive design. Bonus points for experience developing native iOS/Android apps.
- Be comfortable enough with the Rails stack to hand-edit ERB templates, helpers and controllers. Bonus points if you’re comfortable wading into models, plugins, etc.
- Understand how to architect CSS for maintainability and flexibility rather than blindly pixel-matching a comp. Bonus points for SASS/LESS experience.
- Be more than a code monkey. You should be able to set and follow coding standards, help pick frameworks, mentor colleagues, understand business objectives, and run code reviews.
- Excel at producing high-quality work on aggressive timelines.
- Understand the role of SEO, analytics and ad servers to the business of online content.
- Bonus points for being an accomplished command-line programmer or open-source participant.
We will provide you with:
- Challenging work and the chance to learn every day from a group of high-performance peers in a tight-knit environment.
- A flexible schedule including core office hours, blocks of meeting-free development time, and the chance to work from home one day a week.
- The opportunity to use development tools of your choice, including Mac/Linux.
- A competitive salary and bonus program and full benefits including health, dental, vision, and 401(k).
Ready for the challenge? Please send your resume to bdillard [at] viewpoints [dot] com.