Viewpoints.com is looking for a senior entrepreneurial engineerPosted: October 19, 2012
Viewpoints is hiring a talented and passionate Ruby on Rails software craftsman to join our team in Chicago
The successful candidate will have strong opinions about our product and technology strategies. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial engineer who is capable of shipping often, pivoting quickly, and responding regularly to feedback from users and team members.
We develop using Ruby on Rails 3.2, MySQL, Unicorn, nginx, git, Solr, Redis, HTML5, SASS, jQuery and responsive design. We practice agile, test-driven development and deploy our own code at least biweekly.
Having recently redesigned Viewpoints.com, we would expect you to further execute our current vision and help craft a plan for continuous evolution. Millions of people turn to Viewpoints to share their product and brand experiences, and make smarter buying decisions. We plan to continue to excel at being the most comprehensive Review platform on the web and on mobile. Thus, we would expect you to have a passion for a collaborative web experience, and the desire to help others in their journey to purchase.
Your role will be to work closely with our business team to invent and hand-code new features; evolve our application architecture; help manage our server and cloud infrastructure; and continually improve our uptime, scalability and performance.
We are a small team, so talent, fit and passion are as important as experience. You should:
- Be able to work effectively with information architects, designers, business stakeholders, UI engineers, QA personnel and other back-end programmers.
- Exhibit a passion for technology, business, and the challenges of developing consumer-facing mobile and desktop experiences. Bonus points for experience with analytics and SEO.
- Have production experience using clean, performant, DRY, and test-driven Ruby on Rails code to implement projects from the database layer to the web tier.
- Understand how to choose the best third-party libraries and tools in all layers of the application and the production environment.
- Work fluidly in a Linux-based environment. Bonus points for real-world experience deploying to the cloud, maintaining git repositories, managing CI servers, and shell-scripting like a pro.
- Thrive in a lean, agile start-up environment where you help invent the product, contribute to the QA process, lead the deployment of your own code, and hand-patch to production on a dime.
- Be a lifelong learner who keeps up to date with cutting-edge technologies through reading, writing, skunkworks, personal projects and open-source contributions.
- Bonus points for experience with UI web technologies and native mobile app development.
We will provide you with:
- A competitive salary and bonus program.
- Full benefits including health, dental, vision, and 401(k).
- Possible equity (for the right fit).
- The autonomy and team environment to build something great.
Ready for the challenge? Please send your resume to denise [at] viewpoints [dot] com. But before you hit “send,” be sure to write a Review or two on Viewpoints.com so you can share your thoughts on our user experience.